Sunday, January 18, 2009

Andrea Gibson - I do

Andrea Gibson is an amazing slam poet, my favorite slam poet. Her words raise goosebumps on my arms, and tears in my eyes. Her poems are political, personal, truthful, and beautiful. I am sure in the future I will post more of her stuff, she deals with so many different issues. From the war, to gender identity, rape, and many more important subjects that need to be talked about.

This poem reminds me of how lucky I am to live in Canada with the right to marry whoever I please. But not all of us are that lucky, Americans are still fighting for that right. Here is hoping that one day we will all be able to say 'I do' to the person we love.

From the beginning living in towns
that frowned at our hand-holding
Folding their stares like hate-notes into our pockets
so we could pretend they weren’t there
You said fear is only a verb if you let it be
don’t you dare let go of my hand
That was my favourite line.

3 comments:

  1. i love Andrea Gibson she is the most amazing person i have ever met. i went to see her at Eddies Attic on Jan. 26th 2010 when she came to atlanta ga.. my girlfriend took me for our one year anniversary because she knows i get lost in Andreas work. they speak to my heart and whispers to the depths of my soul.
    Andrea Gibson=<3

    Always Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  2. speechless. I find courage in her words.An American...still fighting..

    ReplyDelete