Sunday, February 22, 2009

Neutrality: not just for Switzerland

We all need to be concerned with how the Canadian government is working with mega corps to throttle and exploit the internet.

I first learned about queer issues online... my first lez, gay and bisexual friends were outspoken internet activists on the intraweb community chickclick.com. If I didn't have access to their conversations, discussions and debates, I wouldn't have the confidence to explore my own sexual identity. How many other people do the same thing? How many young people are only learning about sexualities online? The internet is a major lifeline for queer folks. Hellz, if I didn't have this blog, how else would I procrastinate from my research?

By handing over the the internet to corporate control, it gives them the reigns to dictate which content is appropriate. Given the obvious vaccuum of thoughtful and sincere queer characters and plot lines on tv, I am less than convinced that the hyper-controlled internet wouldn't similarly marginalize us. The internet MUST remain neutral. Full stop.

But let's be real here, neutrality does NOT equal freedom.

The internet is not free.

We have a long way to go to ensure that all peoples can use the internet. Computers, free-time, internet packages, all cost mouuuulahhhh. I just bought an iphone, but you can be sure as shit that 95% of the people I work with cannot afford the luxury. Privilege comes with responsibility, part of which is widening that privilege. So, while we work together to ensure that the internet remains neutral, we need to be simultaneously working to broaden access to the internet, so that net neutrality doesn't just re-privilege us middle-class, educated white folk.

Watch this video for a nice, quick and eloquant synopsis on net neutrality.

No comments:

Post a Comment